Macmillan Skin Cancer Nurse Specialist
The Macmillan Skin Cancer Nurse Specialists
The Macmillan skin cancer clinical nurse specialists are based at Queen Victoria Hospital (QVH) within the Melanoma and Skin Cancer Unit (MASCU).
We work mainly within the outpatient department at QVH but also review patients with skin cancer who have been admitted to a ward or seen in a community dermatology clinic. The Macmillan skin cancer clinical nurse specialists are here to offer support to patient seen within the local service.
Our role involves:
- Supporting patients and their family/carers within their treatment pathway, both emotionally and practically
- Acting as a link between the patient, family, carer and members of the multidisciplinary team
- Liasing with other healthcare professionals on behalf of the patient
- Offering advice and information/explanation of treatment
- Accessing advice from other healthcare professionals as required
- Assisting with financial information, claims and grants, and referral to appropriate specialists
- Providing psychological support and referral to psychological therapies as required
- Acting as key worker and transferring over care to appropriate healthcare professionals when necessary
- Educating the general public and staff about skin cancer
- Attending local and national meetings
- Continued professional development
The Multidisciplinary Team (MDT)
Each cancer centre has its own multidisciplinary team (MDT) of healthcare professionals. Effective communication between different team members is key to ensuring a quality service is delivered to you. The MDT consists of dermatologists, plastic surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, nurses and other healthcare professionals, who all have specialist training and experience in the diagnosis, care and treatment of skin cancer.
We believe in a multidisciplinary approach to your care, remembering that you the central person in the team. The MDT is held weekly to discuss the most appropriate treatment for you.
We work closely with all members of the MDT. We also liaise with GP’s, district nurses and other healthcare providers, ensuring that appropriate support is available to you in the community.
About Macmillan Cancer Support:
Macmillan Cancer Support is a UK charity supporting people with cancer and their families with specialist information, treatment and care. It works closely with the NHS and others to develop and pioneer a network of services for people with cancer, working together so that standards of treatment and care can be improved for everyone.
Macmillan Cancer Support’s aim is to ensure that everyone has access to the best information, treatment and care which will make people’s lives easier and reduce unnecessary levels of anxiety.
How to contact the Macmillan Skin Cancer Clinical Nurse Specialists
Maggie Curtis and Julie Anthomy
Tel: 01342 306660 (direct line)
Email: [email protected]
If we are away from our desks when you call, please leave a message and we will call you back as soon as possible.
We are usually available between 9am and 4pm, Monday to Friday
Macmillan Information and Support Centre, Queen Victoria Hospital
Tel: 01342 414369
Email: [email protected]
West Kent Dermatology Service Patient Line
Tel: 01732 651 041
Further Contacts and Support
Macmillan Cancer Support
Tel: 0800 808 0000
South East Coast Strategic Clinical Network-Wessex Cancer Trust
Tel: 01722 415071
Cancer Research UK
Tel: 0300 123 1022